Pages

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

No Better Day Than Today


 

     Worry, worry, worry - every morning, afternoon and evening. Girls have a tendency to worry about everything, but money especially. Will I have enough to cover my rent, will I manage to pay my credit card, will I have money for car maintenance, for hairdresser ect. ect. I am no exception, I worry about my school, about my daughter, I worry about my family members, I worry about bills - you get the picture. Can we somehow stop this ?

     My friend suggested a book to read: "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" by Dale Carnegie. I started to read and there are couple of ideas how to analyze your worries in a different light. One idea however, got me really thinking. Live in compartments of today. If you take one day at the time then the worry is lesser since it concerns this one day. I must admit I understand the concept only in terms of not wasting time agonizing about future. At the same time, I have to say: today is only a small part of this big picture called life. If we have a big list of goals how reasonable is such isolation? If you fail to plan you plan to fail - they say thus one day compartments seems like a shortsighted planning. I must say I need to test this one day thing for longer period of time and get back to you. Perhaps there is something I am not getting - blonde (I cannot help it.)

     One advice to stop worrying that I absolutely adore and I have been practicing instinctively for years; get busy! Every time I am freaking out about something I am trying to get busy as much as humanly possible. For me it has to be physical work, passive activity such as reading book won't do it. Luckily for me there is always tons of work around my house. Whenever worry or negative thoughts get the best of me I roll up my sleeves and of I go. In addition to worrying there are  moments when I feel sorry for myself - I know its pathetic but I cannot help it. I try to go and help less fortunate to change the perspective. How can I feel sorry for myself if there are people who have no food on the table. My organization of choice is Food Bank, where I have been volunteering since 2011. It puts things in proper perspective...

     All this helps to defuse the worry. But still leaves the question: what about the nights? You can get as busy as you want, and volunteer all day long, but at some point you need to come to bed. These are the worst, as evenings are when the unwanted thinking starts to creep back. Does anyone has a solution to that? Alcohol? Ha! Ha! Ha!  

     On a side note, worry is not pretty. Literally! When I have the periods of worrying my skin seems to get nervous to and not only I get breakouts, but also the color changes into unattractive reddish hue. I have no methods of fighting with this, other than not showing my face in public.

     Have you read this book? Did it help? Kindly let me know in a comment below.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment